Sunday, August 26, 2007

What I've Learned

I got through my first wedding shoot yesterday. The pictures still need to be processed but a quick look through shows adequate coverage. I don't know if it's any better than what anyone can get just by grabbing a quality camera and shooting but it's a first learning step.

Some thoughts on what I still need to figure out:
  • posing techniques
  • better understanding of lighting
  • using fill flash for outdoor shots
  • keeping fit
On that last note, I have let my exercise slip these last several months and I suffered for it yesterday. My legs ache from squatting down to get shots free of background clutter and/or get to a level to shoot those who are seated. My left bicep is sore from bearing the brunt of carrying the camera while shooting. The camera isn't exactly light, especially with a flash perched on top and my arm was complaining by the end of the day.

In short, lots still to learn and it's hard work. Harder than I would have thought.

But now, some of the fun part; the processing and picking out the best shots, cleaning up some of the backgrounds and getting them up on a slide show for the bride and groom and family to see.

No money involved in this learning experience but I'm still interested in pursuing it to see how far I can take it. Nothing like a new venture as I approach my 53rd birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment