Thursday, July 25, 2013

X100s RAW Converter

I have discovered something that I think I'm going to love with the Fuji X100s. I bought 32GB cards so that I could shoot in RAW + JPEG in order to have the best of both worlds. Most reviews of the camera have indicated a far above average in camera JPEG conversion and I have so far found this to be true. Almost enough to convince me to shoot in JPEG only. Especially since Camera Raw in my CS5 version of Photoshop doesn't read the RAF files from this camera. I have pretty much decided to finally make the jump to Lightroom and learn that program but haven't got there yet.

But, the other day, I grabbed this quick shot of my granddaughter Ryann while she was sitting on the couch in our trailer. 

 
The camera was in my C1 custom mode which is set for B&W with a yellow filter. It was an ok shot, but she a gorgeous little redhead and I thought the shot would have been better in color. I took a couple of other shots (in color) but none were as good as that first one. So, let's change it in the RAW converter. It's easy, while viewing the picture you hit the Q button and all the options come up. You can change exposure compensation, film mode, color saturation, highlight and shadow compensation, plus or minus. Basically, anything you can change your custom settings to. Now, the only real problem is the tiny picture doesn't really allow you to see what affect your changes are making, but here's the thing. When you hit okay, it takes you to the full size frame before you actually commit to saving the resulting JPEG conversion so if you don't like it you just go back and make the adjustments you want.  Then, when you are ready to save you hit okay and it saves the picture. Now I have the color picture that I wanted.
 
So, shooting in RAW + JPEG is the best of both worlds. Most of the time I hope to not make that mistake and shoot in the mode I want, but, if I make a mistake, or don't have time to change because the picture is there now, or decide that something would look better in a different film mode, then the option is there with the RAW capture. All without having to download to a computer first and then do everything you want. That's still an option if you want, but not necessary. Do I still need Lightroom? At this point I don't know, although the database side of it is the bigger part of Lightroom. But for RAW conversion. This little gem of a camera may just do a better job of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment